Relatives 2.1 Ranking & Summary
Relatives 2.1 description
Relatives 2.1 is professionally designed as a genealogical tree building software for preparation and presentation of genealogical trees and storage of genealogical information in files. Relatives is a program that allows users to create simple or complex family trees while achieving maximum control of data and the complete ability to navigate throughout the tree. Relatives is a true WYSIWYG application available for Windows. Use it to build your family tree, save it in a file, print it out or share it on the Internet. The program completely supports the GEDCOM ver. 5.5 format, the de-facto industry standard for storage of genealogical information.
Relatives is capable of handling tens, hundreds or thousands of relatives; there is no set limit. It also places no restrictions on marital configurations, such as multiple spouses. The program can accommodate any real life possibility.
This software incorporates many features for control and organization; layout can be handled automatically or manually, and searches can be conducted for specific or non-specific details. Complete lists of people and families help with searches and organization and their details can be easily changed using the Editor.
There is an information page for every individual, accessed simply by double clicking that person. Their history or achievements may be recorded, with pictures, web-pages or any other related documents opened via their information window.
Once completed, the family tree can be burned to a disc along with the viewer program allowing it to be shown to others, or it can be exported automatically into a web-ready format.
A person's pedigree can be viewed and saved in a file in the special Pedigree window. Do you need to, transfer your family tree data and all related files to another computer, place them on a server on the World Wide Web, send them to your relatives by e-mail, burn them onto DVD. The Media Master tool will prepare your files for transfer, thoroughly check all links to the associated documents,collect them in one place, pack them into a ZIP archive. With Media Master you may rest assured that none of your work will be lost!
- The basic idea to which the author aspired in the "Relatives" program was to make the representation of a family tree evident, navigation on it convenient, and the process of its creation simple. While the program is suitable for use by amateurs and beginners in genealogy, it is a fully functional tool for professional genealogists.
- The program completely supports the GEDCOM ver. 5.5 format that is de-facto the industry standard of storage of genealogic information. The program data structure
- The program shows connections between relatives as a descending tree. Each person is represented by a rectangular frame with three lines of text containing first name, surname and lifespan. Gender is differentiated by color. Husbands are linked to wives by lines under frames, while siblings are linked by lines above frames. Parent-child links are vertical lines.
- The genealogic tree can be scaled for viewing at any range, from a view of the tree in its entirety to close details. When viewing a large section of the tree, the special Magnifier will allow you to see parts of the tree in 1:1 scale.
- Using either a mouse or cursor keys, you can select and drag individual frames or groups of frames. The frames can then be aligned horizontally and vertically, evenly distributed, swapped, deleted, copied, cut and pasted. Double clicking on a frame shows the information window about the person.
How to select persons and families
- Menu "View" - "Align..."
- Menu "View" - "Distribute..."
- Menu "View" - "Swap"
- Menu "Edit": Copy, Cut, Delete; Dropdown menu "Paste"
- Information window
- Data can be stored in the software's proprietary format (*.rel), as well as exported to GEDCOM 5.5 (*.ged). without any loss of tree layout information. The program can also import data from GEDCOM 5.5 (*.ged) files.
- Menu "File" - "Open/Save"
- Import from GEDCOM 5.5 files
- Export to GEDCOM 5.5 files
- Export is available to an HTML page, to a GIF image or Scalable Vector Graphics embedded in an HTML page making it possible to put your family trees on the Internet.
- Export to HTML
- Export to GIF in HTML
- Export to SVG in HTML
- The tree can be printed out in any size and on a variety of printers, from wide-format plotters to consumer-level printers - squeeze up the whole tree into one Letter-sized page or spread it out over thousands of them. "Print" Dialog
- The complete list of persons and families in the tree can be shown in separate "list windows". You can view information about each item in any list, edit it, delete the item or get its location on the screen. The list of "shared records" is available as well.
- Menu "View" - "Persons' List"
- Menu "View" - "Families' List"
- Menu "View" - "Shared Records"
- Menu "View" - "Header"
- The special Pedigree window is used to show a person's lineage. The pedigree can be viewed in horizontal or vertical layout with any number of generations of ancestors/descendants and saved in a file.
- Pedigree window
- Popup Menu
- The special Editor is used to edit tree elements such as header, persons, families and shared records. The "header" editor can be invoked from the main menu. For persons and families, the editor is selected from the corresponding "list", and for "persons", the editor is selected from the dropdown menu that appears when the person's frame is clicked using the right-hand mouse button.
- Editing of Header
- Editing of a person
- Editing of a family
- Editing of a shared record
- To find a person, a family or a record you can use search dialogs. The "Search" option in the "Edit" menu allows the user to look up a main record's elements such as first or last name, dates, notes and links. The "Advanced Search" option performs the same function, but on any of the record's elements.
- Menu "Edit" - "Search"
- Menu "Edit" - "Advanced Search"
- The expanded support of so-called "user defined tags" is implemented in the "Relatives" software. You can create and edit your own tags in the special User tag Editor. User tags data is saved in the files and in GEDCOM files as well. Menu "Edit" - "User defined tags"
- Add Pedigree window
- Add Media Master, that helps to collect family tree data and all related files into a directory or a ZIP file for transferring them to another computer.
- Some bugs have been fixed.
- 27Mb disk space
- Windows™ 95/98/Me/XP/2000/Vista
Relatives 2.1 Screenshot
Relatives 2.1 Keywords
Bookmark Relatives 2.1
Relatives 2.1 Copyright
Want to place your software product here?
Please contact us for consideration.