FreeOTFE 4.50 Ranking & Summary
FreeOTFE 4.50 description
FreeOTFE 4.50 is a disk encryption program that allows you to create one or more "virtual disks" on your PC/PDA.
These disks operate exactly like a normal disk, with the exception that anything written to one of them is transparently, and securely, encrypted before being stored on your computer's hard drive.
- Source code freely available
- Easy to use; full wizard included for creating new volumes
- Data encrypted on your PC can be read/written on your PDA, and vice versa
- Powerful: Supports numerous hash/encryption algorithms, and provides a greater level of flexibility than a number of other (including commercial!) OTFE systems
- Available in English, German, Italian and French, with support for other language translations
- Hash algorithms include: MD5, SHA-512, RIPEMD-160, Tiger and many more
- Cyphers include AES (256 bit), Twofish (256 bit), Blowfish (448 bit), Serpent (256 bit) and many more
- Cypher modes supported include XTS, LRW and CBC (including XTS-AES-128 and XTS-AES-256)
- "Portable mode" included; FreeOTFE doesn't need to be installed before it can be used - making it ideal for carrying your data securely on USB drives!
- Security tokens/smartcards supported for extra (optional) security
- Operates under both PC (MS Windows 2000/XP) and PDA (Windows Mobile 2003/2005 and Windows Mobile 6) platforms
- Linux compatibility (Cryptoloop "losetup", dm-crypt and LUKS supported)
- "Hidden" volumes may be concealed within other FreeOTFE volumes, providing "plausible deniability"
- FreeOTFE volumes have no "signature" to allow them to be identified as such
- Encrypted volumes can be either file or partition based.
- Modular design allowing 3rd party drivers to be created, incorporating new hash/cypher algorithms
- Decryption software available to improve transparency, and allow even the most junior software engineer to prove data is being encrypted correctly
- Supports password salting (up to 512 bits), reducing the risks presented by dictionary attacks.
- Allows users to backup and restore the critical areas of volume files.
- Keyfile support included; store volumes and their associated metadata separately.
- Uses per-sector IVs, including support for ESSIV
- Volume file timestamps and attributes are reset after dismounting, increasing "plausible deniability"
- Supports volumes files up to 2^63 bytes (8388608 TB)
- Comprehensive documentation
- Naturally, fully supported by SecureTrayUtil.
- Italian translation added
- Added option to prevent message showing on successful mount
- Added option to display large or small toolbar icons (Note: Large icons with captions now shown by default. This may be changed back to show small icons via the "Options" dialog)
- Added option to save FreeOTFE settings to the Windows registry instead of a configuration file
- Added MRU list to system tray icon's menu. (Note: The MRU list is disabled by default; enable via the "Options" dialog)
- Added "/offset" command line option for mounting hidden volumes from the command line
- Message catalog system to simplify translation and reduce risk of errors
- Change to prevent changing the CWD when browsing for files via the standard open/save dialogs. This should stop FreeOTFE preventing USB drive removal when keyfiles, etc are stored on USB drives.
- Changed the broadcast message system informing other windows of drives appearing/disappearing on mount/dismount
- Corrected fault causing drive overwrite to fail under some circumstances with volumes over 4GB
- Refactored some parts of the codebase to eliminate duplicated code
- Various cosmetic tweaks to improve display layout when translated into different languages
FreeOTFE 4.50 Screenshot
FreeOTFE 4.50 Keywords
Bookmark FreeOTFE 4.50
FreeOTFE 4.50 Copyright
Want to place your software product here?
Please contact us for consideration.